Popular Events, Births and Deaths that Happened on the 8th May
Popular Events on 8th May
- 8 May, 1933: Mahatma Gandhi (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) began their 21 days fast on self-purification and launched a campaign to help Harijans which lasted for 1 year.
- 8 May, 1912: American film studio, Paramount Pictures Corporation, based in Hollywood, California was founded. According to the Financial Year 2015, the company had generated $2.885 billion revenue.
- 8 May, 1945: The day is celebrated as a national holiday in Czech Republic because on this day Prague Uprising was ended.
- 8 May, 1980: WHO (World Health Organisation) had confirmed the eradication of Small Pox on this day.
Popular Births on 8th May
- 8 May, 1929: Famous Indian classical singer Girija Devi was born on this day. She was from Banaras and Seniya gharanas. She helped the Thumri singing rise up.
- 8 May, 1926: American comedian, actor, voice actor and author Don Rickels was born on this day. Run Silent and Run Deep are one of his best works in the films.
- 8 May, 1720: This day belongs to the William Cavendish, 4th Duke of the Devonshire, English Politician and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1764). He styled himself as Lord Cavendish.
- 8 May, 1828: On this day, Henry Dunant, a Swiss businessman and the activist, was born. He later founded the Red Cross and won the Nobel Prize in 1910.
Popular Deaths on 8th May
- 8 May, 1952: William Fox who had founded Fox Theatres in 1915, died on this day. He had founded the Fox Theatres but later in 1930, he lost control on the theatre.
- 8 May, 2013: Bryan Forbes, one of the most important figures of the British film industry died on this day. He was an actor, director, producer and a screen-writer and was born in 1926.
- 8 May, 2015: Atanas Semerdzhiev, the first vice president of Bulgaria, was died on this day. He served as the vice president of Bulgaria from 1990 to 1992 and was a veteran of World War 2.
- 8 May, 2014: Roger L. Easton, the scientist who co-invented the GPS (Global Positioning System) died on this day. The american scientist co-invented the GPS along with the Ivan A. Getting and Bradford Parkinson.